Sunday 9 May 2010

My conclusions on the campaign

Thursday 6th May marked the end of my first ever campaign for public office. On Saturday, a survey arrived in my post from the University of Plymouth, informing that I had been randomly selected to complete a questionnaire on my experience as a local council candidate. Here is an excerpt of my responses which hopefully will offer a concise insight into the last month of my life as a full time campaigner.

1) Were you elected or not at the 2010 election?

Not elected

2) Overall, did you enjoy campaigning?

Yes

3) Approximately how many hours a week did you spend campaigning during the election period?

60

4) Would you be prepared to stand as a candidate for local election again?

Yes

5) In general, too few women come forward to be candidates:

Agree

6) In general, too few Black, Asian, and minority ethnic people come forward to be candidates:

Agree

7) In general, too few younger people come forward to be candidates:

Strongly Agree

8) Younger people are not interested in politics:

Strongly Disagree

9) In what areas do you think increased public engagement could be effective?

Increasing understanding of local government, identifying local problems, informing the council about residents' priorities, creating opportunities for residents to suggest alternative solutions, increasing trust in local government

10) Do you think recall elections, where councillors can be removed from office if a quarter of the local electorate petition for that to happen, are a good or bad idea?

Bad idea

Make of that what you will. As I've already said, I have no regrets and consider this campaign to have been a truly formative, if gruelling, experience. I highly recommend it to anyone who has something to say about the community they live in and something to offer to make it better. I feel I've achieved a lot and I'd do it again. I'd quite like a holiday first though.

No comments: